Friday, February 24, 2012

Five Things for Friday, Five Favorite Books

I am supposed to be cleaning my bathrooms, so I have to make this super quick. I'm not going to give it all the thought that I want to, but I want to participate!

-1-

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. When I first read this book, I couldn't figure out why the dad was praying for Reuben all the time, since the eldest brother seemed the most "messed up," but it dawned on me to liken the scripture given by Jesus that He came to heal the sick, not those who are whole. I love the strong characters and the miracles in this book. Swede is beloved by many, I'm sure. Sadly, I lent my copy to a book lover who hasn't returned it. I need to get another copy!

-2-

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I confess, it's been awhile since I've read, but I remember liking it a great deal. Such a tale of sacrifice and love and endurance. I don't like Dickens generally (will I be flogged by classical literature lovers now?), but I love this story.

- 3 -

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Sorry, i don't know how to do the two dots over the "e" in her last name. Jane Eyre is the embodiment of a good woman, in my opinion. She is intelligent, selfless, humble, and strong.

- 4-

Rudyard Kipling's poetry. I am exceedingly ignorant in the poetry realm, but I love Kipling's works, especially his literature. We've read some of the stories from the Jungle Book to our daughters, and they enjoy them. I need to read more poetry.

- 5-

A Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale. Ahh, easy young adult fiction with a strong female character and some love thrown in there. Does is get any better? I also lent this book to the fellow book lover and she hasn't returned this one either. Sniff.

Okay, that was a lame post, but my bathrooms and their grime are calling my name. Happy reading!

2 comments:

Amy said...

i LOVE jane eyre. it was a little difficult for me to get into when i started, but once i gave it more of my attention i was hooked. great, great book. i also enjoyed shannon hale's book. books are just amazing :)

amydear said...

I think you need to call your "friend" and ask for your books back! I love reading too, but I don't love Charles Dickens.